About my Blog

"I am not a chef. I am not even a trained or professional cook. My qualification is as an eater. I cook what I want to eat – within limits" from Nigella Lawson's "How to Eat"

Friday, April 1, 2011

A Traditional Malay Tea Treat @ Restoran Warisan, Tanjung Ipoh, Negeri Sembilan

Sorry, was too busy with works that I haven't got the time to update on my eating spree. Thanks Jim for the reminder. Nonetheless, despite busy schedules, travelling and attending courses... I never forget to indulge in Malaysian favourite past times ... EAT. By the way, I owe Ad (MOTOUR Negeri Sembilan State Director) this entry and thanks from the bottom of my heart for enlightening me on the wonderful culture of Nogori Sembilan's Minangkabau.

Me with Sabah MOTOUR Director at Seri Menanti.
To me, Negeri Sembilan is near but yet far. Can you believe that though I always wanted to visit the Seri Menanti, I've never made an effort to do so? 7 years in Kuala Lumpur, the furthest I've travelled to in Negeri Sembilan was Seremban. And not for food tasting! However ocasionally during weekends, I will travel to Nilai 3 ... again not for food but for home decorations and textiles.

The entrance to the restaurant. As you can see it has the Malay+Minang architectural design.
Anyway, I finally realised my dream weeks ago ... courtesy of Cik Puan Seri Menanti to-be (may the "doa" come true). And more, just opposite the entrance road that lead all the way to Seri Menanti was Restoran Warisan, reputed to be the favourite hangout of the current Yang-Dipertuan Besar Negeri Sembilan (equivalent to a Sultanate in other Malay states)

Clean and airy.

Anyway, when we arrived there, there were not many people and the place was quite deserted. Maybe because of the location (or the timing ... it was tea time), which is quite far from a township (despite being just minutes away from the famous Ulu Bendul Recreation Park). According to Ad however, many people visited the restaurant for dinner, as their Thai-based menu is a hit among locals. His Royal Highness also frequented the restaurant during dinners.

Click the photo above to enlarge it.
I asked Adawiyah ... could we have the same "royal" treatment there? She answered, "Of course", with a cheeky grin. Yes, we were definitely given the royal treatment.

According to Ad, His Royal Highness is a very down to earth person. This is just one of the royal hut that he will occupied whenever he visited the place.

Since we were quite full from a lunch of Sup Tulang and rice at the Ulu Bendul Recreation Park, Adawiyah recommended us to try the restaurant's Tea Time menu. To be honest, I love tea time since I was a little girl. Mum used to bake cakes, curry puffs, scones, roti canai ... in short ... embarked in all sorts of small tea-time projects when my siblings and I were little. Well, we were mummy's most qualified food tasters (and testers) based on our chubbiness and inclination towards food. The project continued till I was in primary school except that this time ... I couldn't wait for the "van roti" to pass our house. Cute sponge cakes and buns captivated me. Even now, I always felt that the most intimate meal is not dinner but tea-time.


Adawiyah recommended us to try the Lempeng Kelapa (Coconut Pancake), boiled tapioca with sambal tumis and grated coconut and jemput-jemput bawang (Onion Fried batter scones/fritters) washed down with special  beverage made from the pulp and juice of young coconut with palm (sometimes brown) sugar called Air Jando Pulang (translated the Returned Widow Drink). Still researching why it was named that.

Lempeng Kelapa or Coconut Pancake (with Anchovies and Tumeric Sambal)

Boiled tapioca. In the past .. this was the staple food during Japanese occupation. Now it has become a stylish Malay tea-time must try.
The accompaniments to be eaten with the boiled tapioca. Grated coconut, sugar and sambals.
Jemput-jemput bawang.
Banana fritters, my favourite. Especially when eaten with spicy anchovies sambal.
The beverage unique to Negeri Sembilan ... Air Jando Pulang.
The ABC - was craving for something sweet and icy (actually still couldn't get that Mallacca cendol out from my system)
The Royal tea-time treatment @ Restoran Warisan.
The food and place was so great and relaxing that I found myself dozed off later. I really had a blast that day! One of the most satisfying personalised tour of Seri Menanti and royal tea-time treatment by none other than the Negeri Sembilan MOTOUR director herself.  6 star treatment star rating ! Ahaaa ... that was not all ... next also a specialiaty unique to Negeri Sembilan... Satay Tulang. Stay tune!

Location:
Restoran Warisan
Pusat Kraf, Perkampungan Budaya Terachi
Tanjung Ipoh
71500 Negeri Sembilan
Tel/Fax : 06 4889026
Hotline : 012-2101356

2 comments:

aters said...

Yarabi... ya tea time ka dinner+supper? Hahahaha! Nice entry there.

rambomadonna said...

Hahaha ... thank u Es. Biasalah ... dah nama royal treatment. Makan kena "grand" sikit.

Post a Comment