About my Blog

"I am not a chef. I am not even a trained or professional cook. My qualification is as an eater. I cook what I want to eat – within limits" from Nigella Lawson's "How to Eat"

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Ais Buah and Penang Rojak @ Tropical Fruit Cafe, Botanical Garden, Penang

I was supposed to have a meeting with the Director of the Penang Youth Park last Friday afternoon, after the Friday prayer. Somehow, he sort of forgotten about our appointment and was elsewhere. Hmmm ... But as I was supposed to meet Ferdous of G-Hotel as well so Nisa suggested that we waited for him at a Mr Kuah cafe at the Penang Botanic Garden. From town centre, towards the Botanic Garden, the cafe was on the right hand side.


As we were approaching the entrance of the cafe, I noticed some similarities in the cafe signboard with the Tropical Fruit Farm's, so I asked Nisa. Nisa confirmed my suspicion that the cafe owner and the Tropical Fruit Farm owner is the same person. As Ferdous were just leaving G-Hotel (with traffic jam around Gurney area and what not will take him about 15 minutes to reach the place), I asked Nisa what's special on the cafe menu. She suggested that I try the Ais Buah (simply translated Fruit on Grated Ice).


Yikes I forgot to take photos of the ordering area and the eating area. But believe me, the cleanliness was acceptable. Except, the person taking and making the order, didn't seemed to be friendly despite my attempt to get his recommendation on what to order and the must try! Well, I guess he just couldn't be bothered as he himself is a foreign worker. So I ordered 3 bowls of  Ais Buah and a plate of Penang Rojak for the 3 of us. Both the Ais Buah and the Penang Rojak cost RM 3.50 per pax.


When my order arrived, I could smell the faint sweet smell of nangka (jackfruit )and mango topping. Yummm ... jackfruit reminded me of my favourite Thai cold dessert - the Red Rubies.


As I dig slowly into my Ais Buah, I discovered generous amount of banana slices, papaya, mango and honey dew cubes. 


Surprisingly, the pureed mango and jackfruit topping blended well with the other fruit ingredients. Hmm ... suddenly I felt like going back to Kuching and search for that one outlet that only sell cold dessert, somewhere in Wisma Tun Jugah (but that was 9 years ago). I really miss that one dessert that was named the Snow Queen. Yeah ... still got time! My hometown Kuching can be a food heaven too but must know where to find.


The Penang Rojak was not bad too. Many people asked me, what's the different between Penang Rojak and other states Rojak. Hmmm ...  to me the most most notable is the rojak sauce. The sauce is a blend of few sauces like the black sauce, sweet sauce, otak udang (the thick dark prawn paste) and some belacan.  A good rojak sauce won't get watery so fast! Next, Penang rojak must have young mango. Have tasted Rojak everywhere but I still feel that Penang Rojak taste the best ... seriously!

0 comments:

Post a Comment