About my Blog

"I am not a chef. I am not even a trained or professional cook. My qualification is as an eater. I cook what I want to eat – within limits" from Nigella Lawson's "How to Eat"

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Simply Thailicious @Flying Chillies, The Gardens, Kuala Lumpur

I passed this restaurant many times before, usually on my way to to Borders bookstore @The Gardens ... making mental notes later that I will try the food there some day. But it never happen until last weekend during our soul cleansing spree. Emel was suddenly having Thai food cravings right after we finished our Thai massage session at Thai Odyssey and this was only place that we could think of for a "Thai food fix", having passed the place earlier after lunch at Sushi Zanmai next 2 doors.

The entrance to the restaurant. You may choose between al-fresco dining or in-house dining.
Yea ... it had been months since I touched any Thai food. Maybe because I had excess of it in Thailand last year - Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Narathiwat and Haadyai. Anyway ... Flying Chillies is another Thai restaurant from SEA Cuisine that also gives you the famous (and pricy) Amarin Heavenly Thai and  Bangkok Jam. However, compared to Amarin .. I guess Flying Casual is a bit casual and no frills in settings and choice of menu as evidence here.

The menu ... simple and casual.
Hmmm ... I was still full from all the sushi ... what to eat, what to eat...
Nice huh ...
Emel was actually craving for steamed seabass with lime and chillies.... reminiscing the good old days in Kulim (there was a very good coffee shop selling good Thai food there, owner's wife is a Thai). She told me it is hard to get "the same taste" in any Thai restaurant in Kuching. Hmmm ... I had to agree with her. Even when I asked the Thai consulate himself on where to get original Thai food in Penang ... all he could think of was Bangkok Express.

Flying Chillies Steamed seabass with lime and chillies. The fish didn't have that earthy smell and farely fresh.
Stir-fry kangkung with shrimp paste. Hehehe ... I miss the stir fry kangkung at Aey house in Bangkok. They added roasted pork and it was yummy ... sorry!
The seafood tom yum was average. But hot.
Emel's choice ... Thai ice tea ... I love Bangkok's  ice tea and coffee. Can never get enough of it.
Decisions decisions ... had to choose between mango sticky rice and red ruby!
Hehehe ... finally I chosed Red Ruby. Okay lahhhh
Since we were quite full .. there were dishes that we couldn't try ... Chicken with Cashew Nuts (reminded me of Phuket),  Ming-kaem (another Thai favourite), Roasted Duck with Wanton Noodles (reminded me of a famous chain of steamboat restaurants in Thailand), Green Curry, Pineapple Rice and another favourite dessert ... Mango Sticky Rice ... (benchmark is Sri Ayutthaya's). Maybe will come again some other time to sample the rest.

Better come in a group as it is not that cheap!

Address:
Flying Chillies
T219 Third Floor The Gardens,
MidValley City
GPS Coordinates: N3 07.145 E101 40.538
Tel 03-2287 7708
Business hours: 10am – 10pm

0 comments:

Post a Comment