About my Blog

"I am not a chef. I am not even a trained or professional cook. My qualification is as an eater. I cook what I want to eat – within limits" from Nigella Lawson's "How to Eat"

Friday, April 8, 2011

Char Kuey Teow @Bee Hwa Cafe, Leboh Dickens,Penang

From Negeri Sembilan ... we move back to Penang and it's time for me to return to my Char Kuey Teow (and wantan mee). Okay, usually when we talk about Char Kuey Teow (Fried Rice Noodles) ... the Chinese will visualise the wok-fried flat rice noodles with succellent prawns, cockles and bean sprouts in soy sauce and lard. However, the Malay version of Char Kuey Teow is fried flat rice noodles with prawn and a little egg gravy. The Chinese version Char Kuey Teow to the Malays is known as Kuey Teow Kerang (Fried Flat Rice Noodle with Cockles).

I love both version ... depend on my mood. However, Penang is known best for the Chinese version so make sure you try the Chinese version Char Kuey Teow whenever you are in Penang. The problem for the Muslims might be whether its HALAL or not as most Chinese Char Kuey Teow sellers added lard and pork skin for better taste. 

I have many Muslim friends and family members whom I really want to entertain when they come for a visit in Penang ... so I think it is my duty to identify Halal or Pork Free (though it is a bit subjective) eating places with great food.

The good news is I found one stall that sells nice wok fried Char Kuey Teow and pork-free. It is called Bee Hwa Cafe and located exactly opposite the entrance to Penang Police Contingent Headquarters (IPK Pulau Pinang) in  Penang Road. The person who found this place and recommended it to me is none other than .....

My chauffeur ... Babjan Ibrahim @ Bob
At first I was a bit skeptical about the place because it really looked and felt like a common Chinese coffee shop. Quite afraid that some very particular Muslim friends (my family members as long as no pork OK) may not feel comfortable. However, Bob reassured me that many Malays eat there especially the policemen working in IPK. And so, just to proof his point I decided to treat my guest of the month ... Miss Suhaila Subi aka Yoyop to Bee Hwa's yummy Char Kuey Teow. And her reaction ...

She is OK about the place. So if a Hajjah give an OK sign ... I pun OK lah.
Yea, I noticed  many Malays and non-Chinese ate there and based on my "eavesdropping" ... the Prawn Mee and Curry Mee are must-tries too. Maybe next time.

In Sarawak and Sabah, it is common to see Malays eating in Chinese coffee shop.  Here, even when you start ordering in Malay in Chinese coffee shop ... it will give them a shock.
I want to try her Hokkien Char next time. Is it at par with the Ayer Itam market Hokkien Char???
The Char Kuey Teow Lady!
Her Char Kuey Teow was fried just the way I like it. Not too greasy, not too dry, fresh succulent prawn and bean sprout. In fact, while I was in KL last week, I kept thinking about it hehehe. That good!

View of the shop from the entrance.
Location: Bee Hwa Cafe, 10 Lebuh Dickens, Penang (opposite IPK Pulau Pinang)

3 comments:

Si Yoyop Bah... said...

I want 2 try mee Udang next time. Haha. Nice entry.

Princess Di said...

Kenangan yang tak boleh nak lupa... tersalah bukak pintu Perdana orang hahahahahahaa

nurul ayuni shafie said...

currently tgh mengidam n mmg nak kena balik penang n makan this fried koay teow. membesar makan koay teow ni. sdpnya.

Post a Comment