About my Blog

"I am not a chef. I am not even a trained or professional cook. My qualification is as an eater. I cook what I want to eat – within limits" from Nigella Lawson's "How to Eat"

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Gourmet Heritage Village Eating Spree @Lot 10 Hutong, Jalan Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur

I've heard about this Lot 10 Hutong or Hutong Gourmet Heritage Village for quite sometime but was too busy and lazy plus no right "makan gang" to crash the place. So since Emel was here in KL and I was reallyyyyyyyy in need of a foodie companion to try out NON-HALAL eating places ... we decided that Lot 10 Hutong was our next destination in our soul cleasing eating spree.

A hutong is actually an ancient alley or lane, once common in Beijing's courtyard neighborhoods but now quickly disappearing. Lot 10 Hutong was the brainchild Tan Sri Francis Yeoh, in which he personally hand-picked 27 eateries that have survived the 2nd and 3rd generations - from the alleys of Kuala Lumpur to the streets of Petaling Jaya or the hidden corners of Klang and place it all in one destination. Being a non KL-Lite I am not very familar with any one of the eateries... hehehe

Hong Kong famous food critic and TV host Chua Lam used his calligraphic skills to write the characters "Lot 10 Hutong" in Chinese for the brand's logo.
And so to solve the problem, myself and Emel let ourselves be guided by what we wanted to eat and at the same made reference to some food blogs on which stalls to try.

Of all the stalls .. this was Emel's first choice ... Penang Hokkien Prawn Mee.
Emel's happy face after getting what she had been craving for. Yes ... I too miss the stall no 35 Hokkien Mee.
The Penang Hokkien Prawn Mee ... taste average.
My choice ... the Ho Weng Kee Wantan Noodles from Petaling Street, Kuala Lumpur. Maybe this Petaling Street wantan noodle that Mr Loke told me very nice.
For a KL wantan mee ... this can be considered quite good. However, in terms of taste I still prefer my Penang Wantan Mee sorry! By the way, this is their best selling mee - Char Siew Wantan Mee.
But I love the wantan though. Yummy....
Suddenly craving for something sweet and cooling.
And taraaaa ... finally I found the cendol that was equivalent in taste to the one in Malacca. In Penang, they used brown sugar instead of palm sugar and it was the palm sugar taste that I was after.
It was so satisfying...
We just couldn't have enough of the Lot 10 Hutong that right after window shopping at the Pavillion, we went back to the place for "yam cha" session.

This is a non-heritage stall that serves Chinese tea and Dim Sum.

I chosed Chrysanthemum tea with Har Kou and Siew Mai.
The Har Kou was nice but I think I prefer a thinner skin.
Siew mai ... quite nice too.
These are some of the stalls that I wanted to try next time. Seemed to be a hit with customers.

Kim Lian Kee Hokkien Mee.
Kong Tai Oyster Ommellette
Location:

Lot 10 Hutong
Lower Ground Floor
Lot 10
Jalan Bukit Bintang

0 comments:

Post a Comment