About my Blog

"I am not a chef. I am not even a trained or professional cook. My qualification is as an eater. I cook what I want to eat – within limits" from Nigella Lawson's "How to Eat"

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Malay Prawn Fritters & Kuey Teow Sup @Astaka Tanjung Selera, Penang

I stumbled upon this place by accident while looking for Sri Weld Food Court Nasi Lemak Bungkus (in the process). Dunno why I thought this was Sri Weld Food Court - maybe because of its location which is nearer to Weld Quay. Sri Weld Food Court is at Beach Street by the way. 

Usually I called this place "that eating place opposite the cruise harbour". Found out the name as Astaka Tanjung Selera during my last visit, on my way back to KOMTAR from a meeting. It is opposite Fort Corwallis and Swettenham Pier (after the Beach Street roundabout, heading towards Weld Quay, at the cornering). If you see the all the cruise billboard after the Beach Street roundabout, the food court is just right opposite. Parking is scary here and not many ... so pandai-pandai lah yer. 

The landmark. The food court is directly opposite.
The place at first glance was quite rundown, and not many patrons, mostly the staffs from nearby government office. Not sure about afternoon during lunch though. Never tried having lunch there before. Not many shops also here. Cleanliness ... acceptable lah. 

I usually come here for 2 things - the prawn fritters (cucur udang) and kuey teow soup (Malay style). Both from the same stall run by 2 ladies (not sure whether they are siblings - possibly one helper one owner) .... Take it from me, each of it is a must try! The prawn fritters were fried just right and served with special chili and peanut sauce. Not too spicy for those with a delicate stomach, the sauce blends sweetness and savoury just right. So if you have had enough of roti canai, vadai or capati for breakfast ... try prawn fritters for a change.

Prawn fritters (cucur udang) with sweet chili and peanut sauce.
Sometimes, especially down with fever or flu ... I tend to crave for something "warming", spicy as in a lot of spice, soupy. One day while having breakfast here, my nose caught something so aromatic ... you know the smell of fried onions blend with ginger, cinnamon, star anise and maybe some coriander leaves. Initially, I thought the stall was cooking beef bone or oxtail soup. Then I saw the small sign saying "meehoon/kueyteow sup).

The stall is just next to the mee jawa ... no signboard.
Usually my driver was the one doing all the ordering ... I just "makan" so I didn't know that the stall also sell meehoon and kuey teow soup. I ordered kuey teow soup and seriously ... it was just the way i like it ... for Malay style of course. Malay style kueyteow soup is usually oily from the fried onion garnishing and they use fried chicken shreds plus more pepperish. Best taken after fever hehehe ... the soup itself is a bit spicy and they even give special chili paste mix with pepper if your want to make it spicier!

The kueyteow soup.
Seen here with the special chilli paste and air bandung.
Meehoon soup. I still prefer kueyteow over meehoon.
The nasi campur, nasi lemak and mi kari here were quite nice.
There are other stalls selling curry mee, Malay mix rice and nasi lemak here. Quite nice too and worth trying if you are thinking of savouring local Malay hawker food.

0 comments:

Post a Comment