About my Blog

"I am not a chef. I am not even a trained or professional cook. My qualification is as an eater. I cook what I want to eat – within limits" from Nigella Lawson's "How to Eat"

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Chicken Rice @ Restoran Lesung Batu Besar, Parit Buntar, Perak

Right after Chinese New Year I had to attend a meeting in Mallacca, so I had no choice but to schedule my appointment with the coordinator of Homestay Sungai Setar, Kak Shidah, right after I arrived in Penang. I am putting Homestay program top priority in my list this year as I think Penang Homestay need new rebranding and total makeover to make it more attractive, competitive and sustainable.


Insiders information - I noticed that many of the Penang homestay participants are great cooks! As suspected, Kak Shidah is involve in the food business. Kak Shidah own a restaurant called Restoran Lesung Batu Besar (translated Big Pestle and Mortar) in Parit Buntar town. Although Sungai Setar is in the state of Penang, but the nearest town is Parit Buntar, Perak.So after meeting with homestay participants in Sungai Setar, we went to her restaurant to have a late lunch. It was already late afternoon when we reached  there and I saw a number of people still eating in her restaurant.The food must be good here, considering it is located in a small town.


Kak Shidah recommended us to try the Nasi Ayam Berempah (translated Spicy Chicken Rice). Talking about Ayam Rempah or Ayam Goreng Berempah, once I forced my officemate to travel all the way from Damansara to Jalan Genting-Klang braving the heavy traffic just to buy a packet of Steam Nasi Lemak with Ayam Goreng Berempah (he blackmailed me anyway -I had to stay back to help him with a very important report). Nyummmmmmm.... Look at the menu, cheap, simple and definitely nice. Very kampung style.


Being a great hostess, she didn't only treat us to her Spicy Chicken Rice ... in fact she even asked us to try the Honey Chicken, Promfret Fish Curry and selection of sauces - chilli, honey glaze and air assam (sour sauce).

Honey-glaze Chicken

Promfret Fish Curry
From top : Air assam, chilli and honey-glaze.
The chicken rice was really delicious ... and no wonder it was a hit among the locals. Especially when it  was eaten hot. Although I was quite full, there was one thing that I had been craving for many years (seriously). A good Meehoon Sup Utara (Northern Style Meehoon Soup).

Another must try ... Northern Style Meehon Soup
The verdict: Tidak mengecewakan!

2 comments:

aters said...

Jauhnya ko pi makan ni J... But it sure looks delicious!!

Si Yoyop Bah... said...

Wow weeee...bw aku makan kat sini nnt...

Post a Comment